Sunday, July 09, 2006

Disgust

Well, I was almost at the end of my first sleeve of Banff when I finally stopped (at the end of skein 2) and read the pattern for the zillionth time. Surely they did not mean cast off 7 stitches at the beg of each row 30 times - there were only 68 stitches to start with! Now, I'd read several blogs where people had praised Jenna for her easy to follow pattern, so I figured that it was going to be pretty straight forward. Nope - if you're doing the pattern pieces out of order, as I was doing, just to get a piece going to see how it was going to work up, you are not going to know that "Work RS decrease row, as given above.
Work WS decrease row, as given above" meant 4 pages above, not the immediately preceding decrease/cast-off rows. So, I have about 10 rows to rip out and probably another 1/3 of a skein of yarn to knit before I finish this sleeve. I can not imagine that over 2 skeins of yarn are going into each sleeve. The pattern called for the equivalent of 9 skeins of yarn. Knowing that I need more length, I ordered 2 extra. Of course, Raglan sleeves are going to be more like 1/2 the sweater, i guess. On a drop-sleeve sweater, the sleeves are 1/3 of the sweater. I need to set up my swift and ballwinder again and wind up a few more skeins of yarn. I dug out the Grape Jelly Shadow yarn for my shawl, which I'm almost done with the first skeins of yarn.

Along with the Sierra yarn for Banff, I also got Sock Memories in Easter, which is the prettiest colorway. I need to get some of these projects done so I can get some socks going. I got a Sock It To Me chart so that I can make some socks without trying them on every few rows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home